Are you a writer with a story idea? Or perhaps you are you an artist but not a writer? Either way, please read through the submission guidelines below.
Fiber Art Now has a focused mission of connecting and inspiring our community, which includes anyone who is related to contemporary fiber arts and textiles: artists, curators, arts professionals, educators, learners and organizations.
We seek to be informative and idea-generating for our readers. All of our editorial material is injected with a warm, personal tone. Each reader should feel that he or she is being spoken to directly, and we assume that every reader has advanced knowledge of the world of fiber arts and textiles. We seek to capture an interesting combination of the well-respected and well known as well as lesser known ‘finds.’ Every reader should open up their issue of Fiber Art Now and learn something new, whether they are the most seasoned and experienced professional or are new to the world of fiber arts and textiles. Note that we do not have themed issues.
Every story in Fiber Art Now must be original. We do not use stories that have been previously published in any other publication or blog. We reserve the right to edit all materials, although we typically work with writers and artists to ensure that they are comfortable with the end product. When submitting any story pitch, please include information about recent (in the last year) or upcoming stories or press that feature this artist’s work, the organization, or the same concepts.
We are interested in fielding stories that:
- help readers learn (or remember) how contemporary fiber arts have developed (Our Legacy)
- share select events, such as exhibitions or conferences (Fiber Happenings)
- tell a narrative about one facet of a particular artist’s work, theory, technique or current direction (Artist Profile)
- are written by artists themselves (or in conjunction with Fiber Art Now staff) hearing about how their work has developed or the road map to their own creative process (In Their Own Words)
- Share compelling books on fiber, design or craft, regardless of publication date (On the Bookshelf)
- Explain* a unique material that may give inspiration across the media (The Medium Matters)
- Gives a review of an online resource related to fiber arts and textiles (Fibers Online)
- Shares a recent acquisition (Recent Acquisitions)
- Shares an announcement about a professional in the world of fiber arts, particular news about an organization (such as purchasing a collection or a large-scale remodel), or an ‘in memoriam’ piece about an artist, collector or educator who has passed
Each issue includes three or four feature articles that may explore one artist’s work, talk about fiber arts from the perspective of curators, galleries or museums, or explore a unique idea (here are some that we have run: collaboration outside of your own media, highlighting the work of someone who is producing new ideas in their work, a studio back story of a well-known artist, but showing readers something they haven’t seen before or another perspective on the artist that has not been considered before. Most of all, every story in Fiber Art Now includes compelling images.
Do you have a how-to piece? Fiber Art Now does not publish them, but your idea may fit into The Medium Matters, if you would like to rework it as an informational piece on using a unique material or technique. So far we have featured drenthe sheep, methods of encaustic work, and use of glass frit in installation work.
Please submit your pitch, two images (if available), and associated links to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Story TypesArtist Profile 500-700 words 10 images to choose from, all 300dpi, preferably pdf or tiff Features (including Our Legacy) 1,400-2,000 words (give or take) 7-10 images to choose from, and all should high resolution (at least 300 dpi), and at least 4×6 size, if possible. In their Own Words 500 -700 words, and can be written solely by the artist or in conjunction with Fiber Art Now staff. 8-10 hi res images to choose from, including a headshot of the artist and candid studio shots or behind the scenes images. The Medium Matters 500-700 words 5-8 images to choose from Fiber Happenings 500-700 words Candid images of the event and professional images of work samples that are featured. Book Review 200 words, include a cover image of the book
We remunerate writers for features pieces and Artist Profiles. Please inquire about where your story might fit into our publication. If you are a writer, but don’t have a particular story pitch, please contact us. We may have a story in the works that is looking for a writer.